|Cover from LaRouche's Schiller Institute book (1984): "To Save the Western Alliance"||1940 Nazi propaganda movie poster "The Triumph of a Genius", comparing Hitler to Schiller.|
Parallels are striking...
The German poet Friedrich Schiller, after whom the LaRouche's Schiller Institute takes its name, is often presented within the LaRouche organization as the antidote to German fascism, to the point Larouchies are told the Nazis had forbidden him!
True, Schiller's humanism is hardly comparable to Nazism barbarism. BUT to insinuate that loving Schiller is a sign of "anti-Nazism" is plain propaganda, and outright "a la Goebbels" lie.
(Picture, left) Weekly 1938 NSDAP (Nazi) slogan. Poster Text: RASTLOS VORWARTS / MUSST DU STREBEN, / NIE ERMUDET STILLE STEHN, / WILLST DU DIE VOLLENI DUNG SEHN; MUSST INS / BREITE DICH ENTFALTEN / SOLL SICH DIR DIE WELT / GESTALTEN; IN DIE TIEFE / MUSST DU STEIGEN, SOLL / SICH DIR DAS WESEN ZEIGEN / FRIEDRICH VON SCHILLER [You must strive relentlessly forward, never stand still, exhausted, if you wish to see your task completed; you must grow steadily in order to shape the world; you must descend into the depths if the essence of reality is to show itself in you. Friedrich von Schiller]. Source: marshallfoundation.org
The facts are:
- In his 1932 book "Schiller als Kampfgenosse Hitlers" (Schiller Fighting At Hitlers Side), Hans Fabricius had already turned Schiller into a standard-bearer of National Socialism (re-published in 1934).
- On 21 June 1934, thousands of Hitler Youth marched through Marbach. For his 175th birthday on November 10, the radio broadcasted numerous lectures and concerts. His plays The Robbers and Wallenstein were performed in Berlin at the renovated Grosses Schauspielhaus under its new director Reinhardt (appointed by Nazi Minister of Culture and Propaganda Joseph Goebbels).
- In 1940, a Nazi propaganda movie (see poster on top of this page: Der Triumph eines Genies ) tried to compare Hitler to... Schiller!
- Between 1933 and 1945, the German Reich saw 10,600 productions of Schillers plays! (Source: Say it loud it's Schiller and it's proud .
- The Nazis even had coins with Schiller's face:
First Day of Issue / Erstausgabetag: 5. November 1934 - Michel-Katalog-Nr: 555 (Deutsches Reich)
So, and contrary to what LaRouche's propaganda says, Schiller was celebrated in Hitler's Germany, not because of his ideas but because he was German!